Pothole Art Interventions

Guerrilla knitting, or yarn bombing as it’s sometimes called, has been gaining a lot of popularity recently. Here’s a new twist that I haven’t seen anyone do before: Juliana Santacruz Herrera took to the streets of Paris to “repair” potholes by filling them with colorful crocheted fabric. (I’m not an expert on the art of crocheting/knitting, so if anyone could confirm whether or not this is in fact crochet I would appreciate it! I had a hard time finding much more information on this…)

pothole_art-1.jpg

pothole_art-2.jpg

pothole_art-3.jpg

pothole_art-4.jpg

pothole_art-5.jpg

pothole_art-6.jpg

pothole_art-7.jpg

pothole_art-8.jpg

Take a look at Juliana’s set on Flickr called projet nid de poule (Project Pothole) to see more.

8 Responses to “Pothole Art Interventions”

1. Yana says:

That does not look like crochet at all… It looks like some kinda material that was twisted up.

2. Rachel says:

I think it *is* crochet– but instead of yarn I think she’s using bias strips or something. It is a crochet on very large fiber.

3. Megan says:

At first I thought it was a rug making technique, but whatever it is … I think it’s awesome!

4. Zelda says:

I believe it is actually long strands of “finger knitting” or single crochet of fabric strips. This would then be easy to work into the cracks & potholes as needed. Nice.

5. spudart says:

As a street artist in chicago, I so totally want to make pothole art in chicago.

6. Madislander says:

This is crochet. It’s the chain stitch that is done at the very beginning, Very clever way to do it, it looks like it’s done with strips of fabric, possibly t-shirt strips. At leasts without viewing the photos closer that’s my guess. Great find – and great job! I know some pot holes in Minneapolis that could use this!

7. Jo Avery says:

I think these are just plaited strips of fabric rather than chain stitch. Whatever, they are amazing and a lot of work!!

8. Lex Caswell says:

The material here is probably old cut up t-shirts then the strips are rolled and sewn together…like a rag rug. What a very clever and interesting idea!